Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Bulldog into your Purpose - Our Life in Review Lesson #6

Roxy being too cool for school
We recently adopted a 3-yr-old/ 80 lb American bulldog. Roxy has become the joy of our lives. Max, our 14-year-old Lab is a little annoyed at the new addition. We hope he knows we still love our old guy too. It’s just that Roxy is so full of spunk. Her whole body wiggles with joy when we come in the door. You can’t help but feel happy when she is expressing her love. Compared to old Max, Roxy is a bundle of energy.

But when Sophie, our grand-doggie shows up, Roxy seems like an old lady. Sophie is bulldog energy on steroids! She’s half Roxy’s size and double her energy. We lovingly call her Taz, because she spins like the Tasmanian devil from the old cartoons. When she arrives, I hear her nails rotating on the wood floor, like spinning wheels, just before I get knocked over by all 30 lbs of her cuteness.
Sophie lavishing her love on her mama! 

I now understand why people have characterized full-throttle aggressive behavior as being like a bulldog. We often use “bulldog” as a verb. Roxy “bulldogs” her way into the room, no matter who or what may be in the way. And when Sophie is with Roxy, their energy is multiplied. All Sophie wants to do is play. She gnaws on Roxy’s legs, jowls, ears…whatever she can get a hold of. They wrestle and tussle knocking into anything and anyone that gets in the way. When I watched Sophie playing relentlessly with Roxy yesterday, I laughed and thought, “That’s just her nature. She’s being a bulldog.”

Sophie playing tug-of-war with Roxy's leash
Sophie and Roxy are fully being who God created them to be.  They are happily living out their purpose: to be crazy, cuddly, funny, wild bulldogs. I can’t even get upset with them for wanting to wrestle and play all the time. That’s just who they are! Not to say we don’t train them to behave appropriately, but short of bad behavior, Sophie and Roxy are just being the bulldogs they were created to be.

That is what I want for my children. To know their identity in Christ and to do what God created them to do.

God created each of us with a purpose. In our worst moments we are behaving in our flesh nature. Undisciplined. Unrestrained. Sinful. But Jesus came to show us a better way. Not just show us a better way, but to give us His nature that we could rise up and fulfill the purpose He created us for.

“For we are God’s masterpiece. He created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things He planned for us long ago.” Eph 2:10 NLT


As my children were growing up we told them over and over again that they were “fearfully and wonderfully made” (Psalm 138:14). God made them for a purpose and if they would stay in relationship with Him, God would lead them into the plans He had for them. And as strongly as I believe that, I’m more aware than ever that it’s not always so simple to figure it all out.

At 18 years old they have to choose a college major or career path that will dictate the direction of their future. What?!?! How many 18-year-olds know what they want to do with the rest of their lives? I surely didn’t. And as a parent trying to help them discern what they were supposed to pick, the pressure of getting it wrong felt a little overwhelming. But here’s the cool thing I’m still learning about God. He knows how hard it is for us to understand. And He’s exceedingly patient.

He’s able to lead and direct us even when we don’t realize it’s Him. And what we might call mistakes or missteps, God may have allowed or even led us into for the purpose of teaching us important lessons.

The biggest issue is not getting it all right.

It’s staying connected to Jesus.


Positioning ourselves to listen for His voice and His direction. Praying. Reading His Word. And as we develop this intimate friendship with God, we’ll hear His voice. And as we hear His voice, He’ll lead us to the purpose He created us for.

When we are walking out that calling, we will find our sweetspot.

I have felt called to write for as long as I can remember. But I have not always been obedient. I’ve often wanted more details before I’ll spend any time doing it. I want to know where this will lead. What are the plans? Is there any end game? But so far God has smiled (I’m just imagining that) at all my questions and petulant demands.  He is God and I am not. I have no idea what God’s plans are. For all I know, it’s just for Him. My audience of one. But whatever His plan, I’ve finally resigned myself to this…

I will never be fully me unless I am writing.

That doesn’t mean that I’m a great writer or even that God has great plans for my writing. It’s just what I know I was made to do. So I’m done fighting it. And trying to figure it out. I’m just trying to be obedient.

This week I heard someone say that we get upset with God when life doesn’t work out the way we want or He doesn’t seem to be fulfilling His promises to us. In my case it would sound something like this, “Lord I know you told me I would be a writer, but you aren’t bringing me a book deal!” To this the speaker said she could imagine God saying, “I wanted to, but you never got off your butt and started writing.”

Figuring out our purpose is just half the battle, the other is taking action.

A few years ago my sweet daughter wanted to encourage this desire in me to write. So for Christmas she gave me the gift of setting up a blog. I still have the note she wrote me. I keep it in my Bible.

“You’ve read other people’s blogs, now go write your own! Write as it happens! Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. Picasso This is your chance to be published. Don’t forget to post it all on Facebook! Love you! Get writing!”


So this is me bulldoging into my purpose! It still took me a couple years after that sweet gift. Wasted time. But I’m pushing my way through now. Trying to figure out how to be the most authentic me. 

How about you? Is there something that’s been tugging at you for years that you feel you’ve been made to do but you’ve been too afraid to do it? 

Now’s the time to start. Let’s get at it!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Bulldog into your Purpose - Our Life in Review Lesson #6

Roxy being too cool for school We recently adopted a 3-yr-old/ 80 lb American bulldog. Roxy has become the joy of our lives. Max, o...