Thursday, September 14, 2017

Yellow birds are my new favorite. 

My deck overlooks a marsh and I start most mornings in my little backyard paradise. Egrets and Blue Herons glide by in the distance.  I fill my bird feeder and sip my coffee. I watch the birds as they eat their breakfast. I love my bright red Cardinals. They make me smile. The bold Blue Jays crack me up. They look too big to eat at my feeder. And the cute little chickadees are precious. I just want to hold them in my hand. But the Yellow Finches…the yellow birds have stolen my heart. When they show up, my heart skips a beat.

Let me explain…A year ago I was walking through some really dark days. I’d sit on my deck and talk to Jesus. I cried and praised and watched my birds. Grasping at some evidence that my Creator was hearing my cries.

One morning my husband was sitting with me and I said, “I love the birds who come to our feeder, but I’d really love to see a pretty yellow one.” I’d never seen a yellow bird come to our yard. The words were barely out of my mouth when a yellow bird came and sat on the tree in front of us. I could hardly believe it. We just laughed out loud.

In that moment, it felt like Jesus was saying to me, “I hear you! I’m right here. I command even the birds of the air. You can trust me.” Jim and I laughed. I cried. God was so real to me in that moment.

But darkness fell again. Doubt crept in alongside its companion Fear. What if my needs were too big? Was God even listening? Can I really trust Him? The What Ifs plague my heart. I sank into my seat on my deck, steaming coffee in hand. I longed for another touch from the Father.

Was it just coincidence that yellow birds came to visit when I asked for them? I mean, does God really work like that? Without even uttering the words out loud, I dared to make my feeble request. “I’d love to see some yellow birds again.” The thought drifted through my mind. It had been a few weeks since the first encounter.

Looking up, my eyes followed a flash of yellow. There, sitting on a branch right in front of me was a beautiful bright yellow bird. He just looked at me.  He wasn’t eating. When I said this to Jim later, he said, “He didn’t come to eat.” Could it be that this really was a message from my Lord? Before doubt could overtake my thoughts, another yellow bird joined him. Maybe his wife. She was not as bright. But still so beautiful!

Deep in my heart I heard the voice of my Lord reminding me yet again that He never leaves me. He hears me. He is trustworthy. If He is able to direct His beautiful yellow birds to come visit me, surely He is able to answer the many prayers of my heart.  

I was recently asked to tell of a time when Jesus had shown me kindness. I remembered this moment. And many moments since then when the yellow birds come to visit. Every time I see them, I sense the Father’s presence. I’m reminded that He loves me so much.

And just so that I would know this message was truly from God, I started to see reminders in my devotions and books I was reading. Messages I listened to. It seemed everywhere I turned, God was bringing me to His words to not fear…I am worth more than the sparrows that He cares for.

Look at the birds of the air: They do not sow or reap or gather into barns--and yet your Heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?” Matt 6:26.

For a little while I felt like not one day went by that I did not come across a reference to God caring for the birds. It's pretty hard to ignore the constant message. It's starting to sink in. Most of the time I think that I really do trust Jesus. But in the darker moments I become aware of ways that I really don't. The yellow birds have been a sweet reminder to me to just believe. Like the birds do.

I have had moments since this time that I wanted to see yellow birds. They don’t always show up. I guess God doesn’t work on demand. But it seems that when I most need a reminder of my Father’s love, the birds find their way to my yard. They never fail to bring a smile to my face. They have become a symbol of God’s presence and deep love for me. 

So as I was thinking about a name for this blog I thought of all that God has been teaching me about trusting Him as I watch my birds. Surely I can believe Him if even the birds believe!






7 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Terri! God speaks to me in similar ways - my bird is the red cardinal- the bright flash of red reminding me of Christ's sacrifice and forgiveness - and his promise to never leave or forsake me in my moments of deepest loneliness and darkness. Thank you for sharing your heart - I look forward to reading your lovely thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this, Terri. I'll remember this when the Goldfinches visit my yard. For me, its butterflies. The really big ones. When I watch them, I envision God's awesome power and orchestration around us as a spectrum: from beautiful and delicate butterfly wings to the deafening thunder of a summer storm...and beyond. I love your blog already! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't God's creation amazing? I see and hear Him in so many ways through nature. I'm sure I'll be writing more about that. Thanks for your insights. And thanks for sharing them with me!

      Delete
  3. Thank you Beth! What a beautiful thought about the cardinals. I'll see them in a new way since reading that! Thanks for leaving a note!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for showing your open heart! Yellow birds will give me a particular smile now as I think of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me smile! Thanks for taking the time to read my words. That means so much to me! Do you have a blog?

      Delete
    2. Like you, people keep encouraging me to have a blog. Just seems like what I want to say has been said already, probably better than I'd say it. That's not a bad thing. :)

      Delete

Bulldog into your Purpose - Our Life in Review Lesson #6

Roxy being too cool for school We recently adopted a 3-yr-old/ 80 lb American bulldog. Roxy has become the joy of our lives. Max, o...